Describes Cloud policy related to Microsoft's end-of-life support of Windows Images
Content / Solution:
In accordance with the Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy, Microsoft will discontinue the regular subscription services for the following Windows Images:
- Windows 2003
- Windows 2008
- Win2008 R2 Ent with MS SQL 2008 R2 Ent
- Win2008 R2 Ent with MS SQL 2008 R2 Std
Therefore, new bug fix, enhancement, and security errata updates, as well as technical support services will no longer be available as part of their normal support services.
This will affect Cloud customers in the following ways:
- All retired Windows Images will be removed from the OS Images inventory. Customers wishing to continue to deploy Windows 2003 and 2008 servers need to make sure they've created Customer Images with Windows 2003 and 2008 prior to this date.
- All Windows 2003 and 2008 servers deployed by clients and Customer Images will remain operational. Clients may continue to import Microsoft Windows 2003 and 2008 Images using their licenses.
- However, any clients continuing to use existing Windows 2003 and 2008 servers or Images need to understand that Microsoft will no longer offer patches, security updates or other software fixes for Windows 2003 and 2008 OS. We can make no commitments that aspects of the service, particularly server deployments, will continue to work properly with the underlying VMware platform going forward.
- Windows 2003 is supported only in MCP 1.0 locations, not the new MCP 2.0 locations. Windows 2003 does not support the IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack utilized in MCP 2.0.
- Therefore, note that Windows Server 2003 Images cannot be copied or imported to MCP 2.0 data centers.
In all cases, Cloud support for Microsoft Windows 2003 and 2008 will be rendered on a "best effort" basis only.