This article explains how to use the Administrative UI to generate a Cloud Backup Usage Report, download it and the how to interpret it. This report includes all of the Cloud Backup usage data and identifies how they contributed to your monthly usage totals.
- Only the Primary Administrator or a user with the "Reports" role can generate the Backup Usage Report.
- Only one Cloud Backup usage report can only be generated at a time per organization within a given Geographic Region. If a second user attempts to generate one simultaneously with another request, an error will result.
- The retention period for such reporting is one year. Data beyond one year old is not available.
Content / Solution:
From the Home screen, click on the Compute button, and select Reports from the dropdown menu:
The Download Reports page will be displayed:
Select "Backup" from the dropdown menu:
Select the Data Center for which you want to generate the Backup report from the dropdown menu:
Define the Start and End dates for the report. The date range cannot be larger than 31 days. Click "Download" when you've entered the dates:
The system will download a CSV formatted report that provides the details on each day's charges and all the assets that made up those charges. Opening up this file in a spreadsheet application is the easiest way of understanding the results:
The Backup Usage report contains the following columns of information about each server that has a Backup Client installed and enabled:
- Day - Displays the date the server and the associated Backup Client that were last active.
- Server Name - Displays the server’s name
- Customer Asset ID - Displays the unique Asset ID.
- Customer Name - Displays the customer name.
- Backup Agent Type - Displays the type of Backup Client that was active on the day
- EssentialsBackupUsageGB - Displays the backup data in gigabytes for that server and for the given Backup Client on the Essentials plan
- AdvancedBackupUsageGB - Displays the backup data in gigabytes for that server and for the given Backup Client on the Advanced plan
- EnterpriseBackupUsageGB - Displays the backup data in gigabytes for that server and for the given Backup Client on the Enterprise plan
- Primary Storage Policy - Displays the storage policy enabled for the Backup Client.
- Secondary Storage Policy - Displays ‘Yes’ if secondary storage policy is enabled
- Current Service Plan - Displays the current Service Plan for the server and the Backup Client.
- Server ID - Displays the Unique CloudControl Server ID.
NOTE: The system allocates approximately 3 minutes to generate a report. For a client who has a large number of assets, this may exceed the 3 minute timeout value in attempting to produce the report. The solution here is to break up the report into multiple time windows. For example try generating a report for Start Date -> March 1 - March 15; and then a second from March 16 - March 31.
NOTE: The Backup Usage Report provides the following benefits:
- Clients will be able to check when Backup Clients / Backup Clients were added on a server.
- Clients will be able to check when Backup Clients / Backup Clients were deleted on a server.
- Clients can identify when Service Plans are changed for a server.
- The latest values will be a maximum of only one week old (Monday morning will have the latest values).
- When Backup Clients are disabled, they stop being shown in the Backup Usage report.