This article describes the process for updating VMware tools on a Cloud Server.
VMware tools are imperative to the successful operation of Cloud Servers and should be kept up to date.
- This option is not available for Servers with an Open VM Tools installation. For more information please see Understanding Support for VM Tools in CloudControl.
- Updating VMware Tools involves rebooting the Cloud Server, which will make it unavailable for a short amount of time. Ensure the Cloud Server is in a state where rebooting will not cause a problem. If the Server is powered off to begin with, then the last step of the process is for the system to execute a Shutdown to return the Server to its initial state. If for any reason the Shutdown should fail, the Update VMware Tools operation is considered successful (because the actual installation has completed) and the Server is left in a running state.
- Only the Primary Administrator or a Sub-Admin with the Server role can update VMware Tools for a Cloud Server.
- This action is not supported if the Server is a Target Server in a DRS Consistency Group
- If the Server is in a state which requires it to be restarted, you cannot update VMware Tools until the Restart has been completed. See How do I determine if my Server Requires a Restart Using REST API?
Content / Solution:
From the Home page, select the Data Center where the Cloud Server on which you want to update VMware Tools is located:
The Data Center dashboard will be displayed. Select the Network Domain (MCP 2.0) or Network (MCP 1.0) where the Cloud Server whose VMware Tools you want to update is located:
The Network Domain (MCP 2.0) or Network (MCP 1.0) dashboard will be displayed. Click on the Cloud Server whose VMware Tools you want to update:
The system will indicate if VMware Tools are out of date and that an update is available. Click on either the 'Update VMware Tools' button located under the Server Status section, or the 'Update Available' button in the VM Tools section:
The Update VMware Tools dialog will be displayed. Click Confirm:
The system will display a message indicating that the operation is in progress:
The system will display the progress of the operation in the Status section of the Server dashboard:
Note: This operation will take several minutes.
Once Complete the system will display a success message:
The system will indicate that VMware Tools are up to date: