This article describes how to enable Cloud Backup on a specific Cloud Server
Recommended reading: Cloud Backup - Introduction
- Only the Primary Administrator or a Sub-Admin with the Backup role can enable Cloud Backup.
- The Data Center location must be enabled for Cloud Backup. For details see: How do I Identify Hardware Specifications and Capabilities Available in a Data Center Location.
Note: Not all Cloud Providers are offering the Cloud Backup service even if the infrastructure has been deployed in a given location. The view described in the above article will correctly identify whether Cloud Backup is available to your account in a given location.
- Cloud Backups can only be enabled on a Cloud Server if the OS is supported. See What Operating Systems are Currently Supported on CloudControl? for a list of supported OS.
- You cannot enable Cloud Backup on a Server if it is in Snapshot Preview. You must first migrate the Snapshot Preview Server to a Normal Server. See Introduction to Cloud Server Snapshot Feature
Content / Solution:
From the Home page, click on the Data Center where the Server on which you want to enable Cloud Backup is located:
The Data Center dashboard will be displayed. Click on the Network Domain where the Cloud Server on which you want to Enable Cloud Backup is located:
Click on the Servers tab, then click on the Server on which you want to enable Cloud Backup. You will be directed to the Server Dashboard:
Click on the Backup tab, then click on the Enable Backup button:
The system will display the Enable Backup dialog:
Select the type of Backup you want to enable on the Cloud Server from the drop-down menu:
Note: There are 3 levels of Backups:
Essentials - Will backup File and Folder only
- Advanced - Will backup File and Folder, and System State
- Enterprise - Will backup File and Folder, System State, and Applications
Click Enable Backup. The system will enable Cloud Backup on the Server. Once complete the system will display a success message:
The system will automatically display the Add Backup Client dialog:
Select the Backup Client type from the drop-down menu:
Note: The available selection will be different based on the O/S of the Server.
Select the Storage Policy from the drop-down menu to indicate how long to store the data, and on how many sites:
Select the Schedule Policy from the drop-down menu to indicate when you want the Backup to start:
Note: This indicates the timezone of the Data Center where the Cloud Server is located.
Select the Alerting policy from the drop-down menu to indicate when you want to be alerted about your Cloud Backup:
Note: If you select "On Failure" " On Success" or "All" a new Email Address box will be added to the Add Backup Client dialog:
Note: Enter at least one email address to which the notifications will be sent. You can enter multiple email addresses separated by a comma.
Once the Add Backup Client dialog has been filled out, click Add Backup Client.
The system will display a success message:
The system will display the Backup Client in the Backup tab:
Note: The Status / Job will be "Unregistered" until the Backup Client is added to the Cloud Server. For instructions, see: How to Add a Backup Client to a Cloud Server
Once the Backup Client has been added to the Server as described in How to Add a Backup Client to a Cloud Server The Status/Job state will change to Active: