This article describes how to generate and view a Security Group Usage report, which provides asset-level detail on the calculation of Security Group Usage. For more details on Security Groups, see Introduction to Security Groups
This report will be made available as part of the May 2019 UI release. Users can use the API to generate this report until that time. Refer to the API documentation for details
- Only the Primary Administrator or a User with the Reports role assigned can generate Security Group Usage reports
- The retention period for such reporting is one year. Data beyond one year old is not available
Content / Solution:
From the Home screen, click on the Compute men, and select Download Reports form the drop-down menu:
The Download Reports page will be displayed:
Select "Security Group Usage" from the drop-down menu:
The system will ask you to define the Start and End dates for the report. The date range cannot be larger than 31 days. Click "Download" button when you've entered the dates:
You will need to select an end date one day later than your actual desired end date for audit data. For example, if you want to generate a report showing Security Group Usage for the month of March 2019, your start date should be 3/1/19, but your end date should be 4/1/19.
You can generate a report for up to 31 days worth of usage
- A report cannot be generated for greater than a year earlier than the current date (allows for leap years).
The system will download a CSV formatted report that provides the details of Security Group Usage for the organization during the time period selected. Opening up this file in Microsoft Excel or Google Docs is probably the easiest way of understanding the results:
The report contains a daily summary of the aggregate total of usage for each of the variables associated with the Cloud pricing model, including:
- Location - The Data Center where the Server is located
- Server Name - The name of the Server associated with the Security Group usage
- Server ID - The ID of the Server associated with the Security Group usage
- Start Time - The time, relative to the Data Center that the Security Group was created.
- End Time - The time, relative to the Data Center that the Security Group was deleted.
- Security Group Name - The Name of the Security Group, chosen when it was created
- Security Group Type - Can be one of two types:
- VLAN - A VLAN Security Group
- Server - A Server Security Group
- Security Group ID - The ID of the Security Group
- Security Group Hours - Indicates the amount of Security Group Hours that have been generated by a Security Group for the specified date
- Additional Notes:
- Each report contains a row of data per day for each location in the Geographic Region. Reports are generated each day at midnight in the timezone of the Geographic Region. For details on these timezones, see Introduction to Geographic Regions.
- CloudControl does not handle billing and supports Cloud Providers using a variety of pricing methodologies and currencies, so the report only includes usage. To identify your current month-to-date charges, you will need to apply your Cloud Provider's specific pricing against the usage totals listed in this report.