This article describes how and when scheduled maintenance is performed on the Cloud Backup service.
- Applies to the Cloud Backup service R3 and Cloud Servers MCP 2.0
Content / Solution:
How Scheduled Maintenance is PerformedScheduled maintenance for the Cloud Backup service occurs at the same time that upgrades to the service are being done. Scheduled maintenance does not result in any downtime of the Updated UI, Cloud API but it does require suspension of all management requests issued through those management interfaces.
While the Updated UI, Cloud API requests are suspended during scheduled maintenance, users will not be able to use those management interfaces to change backup plans, enable or disable servers for backups, or add/remove/edit backup clients on servers.
If Dimension Data offers multiple data centers in the same geographic region, the scheduled maintenance will apply only to a single data center within that geographic region.
Regional Times for Scheduled Maintenance
The current times that scheduled maintenance is performed in each region are:
- North America: 05:00 AM Eastern Standard / 2:00 AM Pacific Standard (10:00 UTC)
- Australia: 09:00 PM Australia Eastern Daylight (10:00 UTC)
- Canada: 06:00 AM Eastern Standard / 3:00 AM Pacific Standard (11:00 UTC)
- Canberra: 09:30 PM Australia Eastern Daylight (10:30 UTC)
- Asia-Pacific: 09:00 PM Japan Standard Time (12:00 UTC)
- Indonesia: 09:00 PM Western Indonesian Time (14:00 UTC)
- Africa: 08:00 PM South Africa Standard Time (18:00 UTC)
- Europe: 09:00 PM Central European Standard (20:00 UTC)
- Israel: 11:00 PM Israel Standard (21:00 UTC)
Note: The times shown above are local time based on the geographic region's use of Summer/Daylight Savings Time, so the UTC times will vary during the year.
Process for Scheduled Maintenance
The current process for scheduled maintenance is:
Starting one hour before the maintenance event, the Updated UI and API will stop accepting any requests for actions related to Cloud Backups in the affected data center. This means users will not be able to change Cloud Backup plans, enable/disable Servers for backups, or add/remove/edit Backup Clients. Cloud Backup API requests will return with a REASON_54 error as described in the API documentation at API 0.9 , API 2
Once the maintenance event has begun, actions taken from the Backup Client on the Server itself may also fail, as well as any backup events themselves
Once the maintenance is complete, the ability to use the Updated UI and API and to take actions related to Cloud Backups will be restored and the backup actions taken at the server level should resume functioning normally.